A registered dietitian nutritionist in Charleston, SC (RDNs) is a food and nutrition expert. And they have completed the following to earn the RDN credential:
- Earn a bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution. Or be approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetic. Also known as (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Complete a 1200 hour ACEND-accredited experiential internship at a health-care facility, community agency, or a food service corporation. Combined with undergraduate. Or graduate studies.
- Pass a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
- Maintain 75 hours of continuing professional education and advance practice credentialing.
- Maintain state licensure through the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) MNT is an essential component of comprehensive health care. And nndividuals with a variety of conditions and chronic illnesses can improve their health and quality of life by receiving MNT by a registered dietitian nutritionist. During an MNT intervention, RDNs counsel clients on behavioral and lifestyle changes required to impact long term eating habits and health. MNT includes a comprehensive nutrition assessment determining the nutrition diagnosis. And planning and implementing a nutrition intervention using evidence-based nutrition practice guidelines. And they will monitor and evaluate an individual’s progress over subsequent visits with a registered dietitian nutritionist .
FACTS: The Cost of Obesity & Diabetes in South Carolina Obesity
South Carolina has the 10th highest prevalence of obesity (33.1%) in the US. Furthermore, the economic cost of obesity in South Carolina is estimated at $8.5 billion per year Diabetes. And obesity and poor nutrition are leading risk factors for diabetes South Carolina had the 7th highest prevalence of diabetes (11.6%) in the US in 2014. In addition, approximately 580,000 South Carolina adults have diabetes and another 324,000 have pre-diabetes And the annual cost of diabetes in South Carolina is over $4.2 billion dollars.
Transform Your Well Being with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
In summary, make 2020 a life changing year. And schedule an appointment to address your nutritional needs. So you can learn how to incorporate food as medicine and transform your well being !
Source: SC Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
You may also be interested in our blog on what is a certified diabetes educator.